geikou's art

Archived/Saved Threads

Re: geikou's art

Postby geikou » Sun May 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks, gecko. ^^ I was pretty uninspired when I started it, but being a commission with a relatively tight deadline, it had to get done, even if I was suffering from art block. Considering that, I'm quite happy how it turned out. ^^ And amazingly, I never got tired of working on it, although at the end, when he was asking for revisions, I was so ready to be finished with it.

Two new pairs of earrings to show today. ^^

Cascade
BFFs
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby BBboy20 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:31 am

Cascade reminds me of a umbrella under heavy pouring.
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 pm

A draping necklace: A Winter's Day ^^
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 am

Chibi head! ^^ Kamijo charm
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I learned out to properly string beads and went back and redid my previous necklace: A Winter's Day

And I made another of the same type: Chess

I also did a banner for DF's AX blog. ^^
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby BBboy20 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:48 am

geikou wrote:And I made another of the same type: Chess
^_^
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:08 am

Back into painting mode I go! (So bad. Can't focus on one thing at once!) Also back to painting bishies. Ladies rejoice. ^_~

This Moment in Time
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:46 pm

A memorial painting for Jasmine You: A Memory of Violet Roses
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 pm

NIce work as usual geikou
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm

I really like the coloring and overall "flow" of that last one.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Selaphiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 am

I think I "like"d that on FB, but I'd like to note again that I think it's really awesome.
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Postby geikou » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Finaaaaaally done with Hakkai! Let's Play!

And thanks for the compliments on the Jasmine pic! I hadn't thought that one would be popular, since although there was a little bit of thought put into the full concept, since it's cropped, there really isn't anything interesting going on in it. ^^
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:08 pm

That is seriously one of the best fanart pieces I've ever sen on DA. No joke.

BTW, this thread is almost at 300, so when it hits the mandatory 300 post lock I wanna archive this thread in the archive forum to be permanently saved.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 am

Now that is certainly one of the better artworks I seen from you in a while geikou.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I do like this one. ^o^ And blur FTW, hehe.

Saving this stuff for posterity, eh? Sounds good to me!
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:00 pm

So with 6 posts to go until I archive this thread (because geikou's gallery is that awesome) I'm just gonna burn through some posts by asking some specifics on your technique:

-Do you do the full scope of your pieces digitally or do you ever start with a pencil/pen and paper drawing and import that?

-preferred programs? (Right now on my new PC I'm using open source: GIMP etc. But I'm looking into picking up a legit copy of CS5.)

Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby geikou » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Hah, sure thing. It'd be nice to start the next thread with a new piece anyway. ^^

Do you do the full scope of your pieces digitally or do you ever start with a pencil/pen and paper drawing and import that?

I have not drawn on paper in a very long time. I did last attempt it maybe, oh, a year or so ago, but I felt soooo insecure about drawing traditionally! (I didn't get very far with my attempt.) When I sketch on the computer, I can feel totally confident to the point where I feel completely free to experiment. No need to worry about mistakes; you can erase again and again and again and never leave a trace. Adjustments for size, placement, angle, etc. are a piece of cake. And since I can work in layers, I can do a super rough basic pose first, add another layer on top of that for a rough sketch, add another for more refinement or whatever, etc. I do feel bad about losing my traditional skills, but digital is just so convenient now. ^^; Plus, drawing on paper first means you still need to scan, clean up the scan, etc., and unless you want to stitch scans together, you're limited in your paper size.

Digital sketching did take some getting used to, but now that I am accustomed to it, it's really hard to go back. I think I made the switch for good around late 2005/early 2006, according to the files I see on my computer. And of course, yes, I use a tablet. I currently have a 9x12 Wacom Intuos2, which I got back in 2004, I think. It's starting to come apart a little bit on one side, probably from too much transporting around. >_> (I have to use my personal tablet at work; the joys of startup companies.) Still, it's lasted a good long while and works fine. I'm on my second pen, though, but at least it's a lot cheaper than a tablet. My first one lost almost all pressure sensitivity for some reason a few years ago.

If any of you are thinking about getting a tablet, there are a few companies around, but Wacom is the best, unquestionably. They have a cheaper line called the Bamboo (the old cheaper one, the Graphire, seems to have been discontinued), and you can pick up a small one, 4x5, for something like $100, I think. Honestly, you really don't need a big one. At my first art job, the company provided tablets, and they were 6x8 Intuos3s; I didn't have any trouble working on it, despite being used to my own big one.

preferred programs? (Right now on my new PC I'm using open source: GIMP etc. But I'm looking into picking up a legit copy of CS5.)

Right now, Photoshop for everything. I have CS2 at home and CS3 at work. I hear CS5 is excellent. The other programs I'd be interested in are purely drawing/painting programs rather than ones intended for photo editing too, so they're probably not of much interest to you guys here. (Nny? ^^) I've attempted Painter before but just could never get the hang of it. Too complicated for my taste and some of the brushes really lag. I've also tried openCanvas. It was all right; basically a Painter lite. I actually don't remember much about it except for the awesome zoom and rotation tools, the latter of which was way better than Painter's. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will have a couple new programs to play with. I'm going to try out another Painter lite called Paint Tool Sai as well as trying one to gear up for doing manga called Manga Studio. (Amusingly, in Japan, it's called ComicStudio.) The reason I'm looking into Sai is that digital inking in Photoshop is a serious pain (but doable; Hakkai was totally Photoshop) and it's supposed to be better in Sai. Plus, I'm wondering how the paint blending is in Sai and if I can get more of the look I want in it. And if you do happen to be interested in painting, there's yet another program called ArtRage as well. I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that it's really good--faster than Painter and imitates traditional media well. And also oC, Sai, and ArtRage are all way cheaper than PS or Painter, at least last I checked.

Any more questions, fire away! ^^
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:50 pm

geikou wrote:If any of you are thinking about getting a tablet, there are a few companies around, but Wacom is the best, unquestionably. They have a cheaper line called the Bamboo (the old cheaper one, the Graphire, seems to have been discontinued), and you can pick up a small one, 4x5, for something like $100, I think. Honestly, you really don't need a big one. At my first art job, the company provided tablets, and they were 6x8 Intuos3s; I didn't have any trouble working on it, despite being used to my own big one.

I might look into that. I feel it'd be good to start to move towards making pieces that are 100% my work as opposed to what i do now with using stock images and photomanipulations. Not that those aren't handy skills, but I want to expand my range a bit and I think a tablet for more painting/drawing type stuff would be real handy. Thanks for the recommend on the wacom products.

Right now, Photoshop for everything. I have CS2 at home and CS3 at work. I hear CS5 is excellent. The other programs I'd be interested in are purely drawing/painting programs rather than ones intended for photo editing too, so they're probably not of much interest to you guys here.

Ah, cool. I think based on that I may just stick with Photoshop since GIMP/Photoshop style programs are what I know best and I'm probably more inclined to still use editing techniques on anything I'd draw or paint.

Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby geikou » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 pm

My brother, who's a wedding photographer, was considering getting a tablet, I recall. I imagine that even though one may not be necessary for photo editing, it'd still be helpful. Things like the lasso tool would be a lot easier to draw with and I think some things could certainly use pressure sensitivity. If you're serious about doing some actual painting/drawing, I'd definitely say a tablet is the way to go. I believe you can even get the Bamboos in store some places; no need to place an order.

Honestly, I actually don't know of any programs for photo editing other than Photoshop and GIMP off the top of my head. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using anything else for that. ^^;
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Honestly, I actually don't know of any programs for photo editing other than Photoshop and GIMP off the top of my head. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using anything else for that. ^^;

There's actually a surprisingly long list of programs for photo-editing. Most of them are fairly basic (somewhere between MS Paint and Irfanview in terms of functionality). It seems that over time even the basic programs have added a lot of functionality though. The most recent versions of Irfanview have the same sorts of tools that MS Paint has, plus all the built in photo-editing tools.

In addition, there are a number of relatively powerful options. Photoshop and Gimp are still the 1600 and 800lb gorillas in the room though. However there are some less well known options... I remember Paint.net having Gimp's functionality with a much better interface. Then again I haven't used it for 3 years or so. Then there was the program PB was using a couple years ago... Paint Shop or something.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

PreviousNext

Return to Archive