geikou's art

Archived/Saved Threads

geikou's art

Postby geikou » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:14 pm

well, i figured i might as well start a thread for my art here, since i've actually got my first completed personal piece in a long time.  hopefully i'll be able to update this thread, um, somewhat regularly. ^^;  i have a lot of pieces in mind.  so here it is, a birthday present for kamijo, the vocalist of lareine.  i finished it sunday, but it won't get to him before his birthday, since that's tomorrow and i probably won't even be able to mail it by then... ^^;

the rose that blooms in the deep forest

also, we've started a sort of daily (more like semi-weekly) sketch group at work to help improve our art and our first meeting was today.  we're just taking the day's dsg topic from the cgtalk forums and giving ourselves a maximum of one hour to sketch on it.  today's topic was "slayer".  i probably won't be posting all of these, but i figured i might as well have a baseline here. ^^;  yikes, i have a long way to go...

slayer - ~30 min, photoshop
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Both are awesome, I like the mix of traditional art with digital techniques. I say muy bien to both.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby LinxCross » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 pm

Kitty!

o_o

Bloody. Me likes.
It's a new frontier!!!
LinxCross
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 pm

poor birdy :(
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby geikou » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 pm

thanks, itami. ^^  erm, they're both totally digital...  even the sketch for the first one was done in photoshop.  oh, i did forget to mention, though, that the coloring was done entirely in one layer (for the other one too).  it was the first time i'd ever done that digitally and i really enjoyed it.  i think i'll be doing that a lot more often now. ^^

and don't worry, it was a digital birdy. ^_~  i figured that most people would do monsters or bounty hunter type people and i wanted to do something different.  too bad the actual cgtalk time limit was 15 min, and i neglected to save a copy of my work at that time, so no posting in the actual thread for me.
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Veoryn87 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 am

You never fail to impress me Geikou!
Made by ZeroSasurai.
Veoryn87
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:25 am

geikou wrote:thanks, itami. ^^  erm, they're both totally digital...  even the sketch for the first one was done in photoshop.  oh, i did forget to mention, though, that the coloring was done entirely in one layer (for the other one too).  it was the first time i'd ever done that digitally and i really enjoyed it.  i think i'll be doing that a lot more often now. ^^

Oh, that's cool, I was under the impression that you drew it on paper and then digitally colored the scan.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby KCKeitaro » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:53 am

Nephthys wrote:Oh, that's cool, I was under the impression that you drew it on paper and then digitally colored the scan.
I was also under that impression.  It's very good.  It'll be even better if you tell me you used a mouse for it ;).  I sucked too badly at actual painting to be able to emulate it in Photoshop...
Anime Sig Maker, Author of Fanfics
"Do what I do: hang on and pretend it's all a plan." --the Doctor
KCKeitaro
Kyoryuumin
Kyoryuumin

Postby PaladinBlue » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:15 am

Very, very impressive, Geikou.
PaladinBlue
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby geikou » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:25 am

thanks, guys.  i've actually gotten pretty good at sketching straight into the computer.  it's just so convenient, especially for work.  doing great line art is a different story, but since i didn't keep any lines for that painting, that wasn't an issue.  the sketch is an example of a new (for me) technique i'm trying to get the hang of: blocking in/coloring without a sketch.  it's so much faster if you can pull it off.  so yeah, the second piece had no sketch at all.

as for painting with a mouse, nah, i used a tablet. ^^  but!  there's a guy at work who paints with a mouse, and it's amazing!  he's not one of the primarily 2d artists, but he can do it, and he's just gotten so used to using a mouse that it's not a problem for him. ^^  i think it'd be painful on the wrist. ^^;  as if working on a tablet isn't bad enough...  it's still more comfortable to hold a real pencil and work on real paper.  now, a tablet monitor, though... ^o^  i have my sights set on that grand prize that blizzard is giving away...
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby LadyLovesAnime » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:14 pm

I'm guessing that's the kamijo portrait you mentioned in another thread. Fantastic, geikou.
"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Theresa
LadyLovesAnime
Senpai
Senpai

Postby geikou » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:33 pm

lla, yep, it's that portrait. ^^

i was supposed to be practicing with/learning painter last night, but after a couple of frustrating hours with it, i decided to do some painting in photoshop instead. -_-  i'll have to practice painter on the side but for the immediate future, since i have a couple paintings that really need to get done relatively quickly, i guess i'll be doing them in photoshop. -_-  anyway, i just finished what i started last night.  besides the fact that it was supposed to be for practice in painter, it was also for practice in: 1) painting in one layer, 2) painting without a sketch, 3) choosing skintones (^^;), 4) painting more loosely and stylistcally.  it still ended up taking way more time that i wanted, but i guess practice makes perfect! ^^;

portrait in red

btw, if you guys have any crits, you're welcome to post them. ^o^
Last edited by geikou on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Mac » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:37 pm

Wow.

You just blew me away with your art.

I suck at spelling so forgive me for spelling erros.

The masses are A$$es.
Mac
Okame
Okame

Postby BBboy20 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:45 pm

red...I like...
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:05 pm

geikou wrote:http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/ ... sketch.jpg

btw, if you guys have any crits, you're welcome to post them. ^o^

First off, that painting is great

As for critical analysis...well, I dunno how effective most of us would be  :P
The type of digital painting you do and it's difference from the graphic design type stuff the rest of us here tend to do makes it hard for us to offer suggestions, except to say that you're stuff looks awesome

Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby geikou » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:35 pm

well, thanks. ^^  but as for crits, it doesn't take even an artist to make them.  (eg. are film critics directors?)  it doesn't have to be anything technical, but if you feel that "it doesn't look right here" or "this blends in too much and it's hard to see" or something like that works too. ^^  i mean, i posted this on the major cg art board (the aforementioned cgtalk) for crits as well, but personally i think it's a good thing to see if people who don't do this type of art can notice anything off too.  and that goes for all the stuff i post here, btw. ^^
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby BBboy20 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Eh, maybe for the artsy wartsy people but we don't, your a one of a kind at this site. ^_^
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:37 pm

The only thing that stands out to me is the red background.  Seems too "harsh".  If it was smoothed out and flatted it might not bug me as much.  Only thing that stands out to me, personally.

Really like the portrait though.

*scrolls back up to take another look*

Wait... nope.. had to tilt my LCD...better... nothing else hits me.  :)
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby geikou » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:51 pm

hehe, smoothed and flatted?  but it's all one color. ^^;  i know what you mean about the lcd monitors, though.  i love having dual monitors at work but i hate that they're both lcd.  i'll take my wonderful crt monitor over them any day...well, except that it'll take up too much room on the desk... -_-;  i imagine that once i start doing some colored art at work, i'll probably want to take it home to make sure the colors and saturation are right.

hm, just realized that the ones in my first post were linked rather than posted.  i should probably stick with that... ^^; *changes new image*
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:16 am

I suppose what would better explain it would be that the color stand out too much.  If it was blended and not so sharp... that's all I ment. :(
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Next

Return to Archive