Wireless Networking: Airport Extreme

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Wireless Networking: Airport Extreme

Postby Nami-San » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow, I haven't been here in so long that I didn't even think of this as an option to fix my problems until just now. I have a wireless Airport Extreme router, but I ran into a minor issue recently and was forced to reboot it to it's original settings. The major issue now is that I didn't set it up to begin with, and I have absolutely no idea how to make it work wirelessly, and password protected, with my gaming systems. All I know is that I need to do something with WPA2, but I don't get any of that. My Google searching has led me to forum after forum of people that have other, more complex, problems, and aren't really addressing my initial problem of not knowing how to even access the WPA2 area in either my router, or the Airport Utility program that is installed on my PC. Apple does not offer customer service on their routers(I kind of hate them right now), and Best Buy will come set up my three gaming systems, but it would cost $100. Oh yeah, and I apparently need to also set up my router to be able to open NAT(???)

I am actually willing to pay Best Buy to come out and set up my gaming systems, but I am also aware that once new systems come out, I'd just have to pay them another $100 to come out again. Is anybody willing to walk me through what I need to do, keeping in mind that I am utterly stupid when it comes to most computer accessories, and wireless routers specifically? I am currently at the stage where Airport Utility is installed, and my router is at it's original factory settings.
Nami-San
Kikousha
Kikousha

Re: Wireless Networking: Airport Extreme

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm

So basically you reset it, don't know the password and therefore cannot access the router to set it up and once you do get access you want to know what to do?
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Nami-San » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 pm

No, I know my actual password, and a computer can connect wirelessly, but gaming systems need to use a WPA2 password to connect, and the manual doesn't tell you how to get it. I remember when I bought it being told that setting up gaming systems was a bit tricky, but it was taken care of then. Now, since I am no longer within my first sixty days, it is up to me to access my WPA2 code, my NAT(no idea what it is, but is apparently necessary), and get them sorted out so that I can use my gaming systems.

What really annoys me is that there are so many people with wireless gaming systems hooked up, you would think that this information would just be made available to people when they purchase these. It's not like this is some weird kind of device I am using.
Nami-San
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Interesting that you say that since I don't have my home routers use any encryption at all and my system connected by default. You could do that I suppose but I don't know you important security is for you.

Try directly accessing the router and check the settings and the security settings.

This is how I remembered the IP address I typed into the computer http://www.ehow.com/how_5962601_do-wpa2-key_.html
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Nami-San » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, that was one of my Google searches. The three IP addresses they tell you to open always come up as invalid websites, which of course means that there is so much I fail at with wireless routers that I can't even properly copy/paste from a list of instructions. I've entered each of those three addresses at least three times, and I honestly thought that it was an old, outdated list of addresses.
Nami-San
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm

Odd, the first one worked for me first try....

And one of the addresses, http://192.168.1.1 was listed as the default for the airport on another site. Still try some more digging.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm

People in chat right now are saying try resetting your router again, and when you start setting up try stating with no encryption at all. Shoot if you pop into chat I am sure everyone can give you more feedback faster.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:39 pm

my NAT(no idea what it is, but is apparently necessary)

N.A.T. = network address translation. Basically what that means is your computers are hidden behind a switch (or router) and the outside world only sees the switch. So data comes in, hits the switch, and the switch queries your computers to see which computer requested it. If no computer requested it, the data is discarded. You shouldn't need to do anything beyond turn it on or off. Well, or maybe set up a rule/open a port if there's a specific protocol that you need to run which is being blocked.

Here's an example. Lets say your switch has is assigned the IP address 000.000.000.000. Your PC has the IP address of 192.168.1.32. Your sisters PC has the IP address 192.168.1.33. All the outside world sees is traffic coming from 000.000.000.000. They don't see your the IP address your computer specifically has. At least not without a heck of a lot more work. However for a service that needs an IP address or which needs a specific port or ports to be open, say something like FTP which requires ports 20 and 21 to be open a switch/router may mess things up because it may have those ports closed by default. Savy...

it is up to me to access my WPA2 code

Generally speaking Gecko is right. 192.168.1.1 is usually the default location for the control panel to access a switch/router's configuration menus. However its possible Apple uses a different address. Once you get to the control panel you should be able to find out what your WPA2 password/code is.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Nami-San » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 pm

I appreciate everyone trying to help, but a strange accident happened. I was watching a YouTube video that seemed like it would help, so I secured my network again, and tried to follow exactly what they were doing. Almost immediately, their version of Airport Utility was different than mine, and all attempts to update my version failed. So, I was stuck with a how-to video that I couldn't follow, and the same problems I had every other time I tried to do it by myself.

Then, my wireless network disappeared, and Airport Utility didn't recognize any Apple routers in the area, no matter how many times I told it to rescan. This was bad, because the only way I knew of to reset the router was to do it through the Utility program. About fifteen minutes later, it suddenly reappeared, and my gaming systems were inexplicably working. Having never changed any type of NAT settings, I hopped on to XBox Live to play Rock Band, and it all worked fine. I have no idea what happened, but it seems to be working at the moment, and I have no interest in changing anything at all. I would probably just mess it up.
Nami-San
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby si1vergecko » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 am

Well glad to know that the issue was resolved in some fashion or another.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Tech Talk