Pissed off at Microsoft

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Pissed off at Microsoft

Postby kirschy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:23 pm

So I got a virus today on my computer. The AV caught it, but I figured better safe than sorry. So I got my install CD and tried to reinstall Windows. Note the verb tried. After doing the formatting and reinstalling I went to activate Windows so I could get into Windows and finish things up. When I did, Microsoft popped up a message saying my Windows key had been used too many times. Which went over about as well as... Well I'm sure you could come up with some comparisons... What a lovely early Christmas present from Microshaft. :roll:

Anyway so now I'm pulling down some Linux .isos to burn so I can get a functional OS on my computer without having to kowtow to Microshaft and beg them to reactivate my key. Right now I'm pulling down Ubuntu and Mandriva. I'm planning on downloading Fedora when they're done. And I'm thinking about downloading a couple other distros, but I'm not sure which ones. Does anyone have any suggestions?
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Re: Pissed off at Microsoft

Postby Tsuyoshi » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 pm

If you have a legit key... you just call them and usually they will issue a new one for you to enter. It's usually not hard.

P.S. Is this a new desktop or a laptop and older?
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby kirschy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Tsuyoshi wrote:If you have a legit key... you just call them and usually they will issue a new one for you to enter. It's usually not hard.

P.S. Is this a new desktop or a laptop and older?

I'll address this in reverse order...

This is my old Windows XP desktop. So its going on 6 years old. That's why I don't really want to spend money to fix this (IE buy a new key or Windows 7).

As for calling Microsoft... I have a legitimate key. (Hell, I'm pretty sure I have another legitimate key laying around somewhere.) And I realize it probably is relatively straight-forward to get a new key issued. It just irks me that I should have to call Microsoft to do that in the first place. Hence the reaction of screw Microsoft... Install Linux.

I realize that may not be exactly rational and I may wind up calling Microsoft for a key. However...
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby si1vergecko » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I have not used much Linux in general (unfortunately) but I do know that UBuntu is a popular one and it is one of the few that I actually used and it was pretty straight forward. I mean if you ever used a GUI interface and are somewhat computer literate, you can figure out how to do stuff on it pretty quickly. Thats my two cents anyway.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Well, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 for now anyway. Ubuntu's a bit of a switch since the task-bar is on the top of the screen and the window controls are on the left hand side. However at least it has Kompozer so I'll be able to keep using the same software to update my personal website.

I finally got pissed off enough with Microsoft to make an effort to switch today. The straw that finally broke the camel's back came after I got tired of having to call to activate Windows XP each time I reinstalled so I decided to talk to a customer service representative instead of using the automated activation call-center. I finally got through to a real person (though I'm pretty sure said person was located somewhere in India) and told him what was going on and he basically said this was a new anti-piracy feature that they'd implemented and that there wasn't anything wrong with my Windows key. So after that I asked him if they were trying to get people to switch to Linux and he hung up on me. After that I just decided screw it... It's time to see if I can find a Linux distro I like.

If I don't stay with Ubuntu, I think I'll either try Mepis next.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby kirschy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:43 pm

I decided to try Mepis 8.5 before I settled on a Linux distro. I'm really glad I did. It may not be perfect, but its pretty damn good. I managed to find a how-to that let me load Kompozer (the only really critical piece of software I use). Hopefully Mepis will do everything I want. If not I suppose its on to the Mandriva...
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby kirschy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 pm

OK... Figured I'd update this. I finally settled on Linux Mint 10. It was the best of the lot that I'd tested and was the easiest to live with. I tried Linux Mint 11 last night and can't say it really did much for me. It's not too terribly different from Mint 10, but they switched some stuff (like overlay scrollbars) to make it more tablet (smart-phone) friendly. Removing the overlay scrollbars wasn't terribly hard, but I look at it as one more unnecessary pain-in-the-ass. If I want a tablet/smart-phone OS I'll download one. If I download a desktop OS, I don't want tablet/smart-phone OS features like overlay scrollbars.

And that's my little rant about that.

I also had some problems with Youtube vidoes stuttering (even if buffered fully) in Mint 11. I'm not sure if it's related to the version of Flash, FF5, or something to do with Mint 11 but I'm going to do some experimenting. Hopefully I can get that figured out.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby RuneX » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:37 am

ubuntu is a nice OS, however you have to work with it to get it the way you like. I hate the interface that comes with 11.1, so I switched the default to gnome 3 and modified the layout a bit. Once you get past that, its basically like having a faster running windows 7 PC with a bit more security but a bit less in terms of available software.

In my home, I have an Android phone and tablet(both gingerbread 2.3), a windows xp pro, windows 7, and ubuntu 11.1 pc running. I can say they all have thier merits and with a little tinkering, work together wonderfully. Hopefully you were able to settle on an OS that was suitable for you.
Xbl Gamertag: runex
PS Network ID: No Longer Own
Wii: No Longer Own
RuneX
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Of course with Linux in general you can expand things a lot if you use WINE. Got to love using emulation to run Windows products.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby RuneX » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:41 pm

si1vergecko wrote:Of course with Linux in general you can expand things a lot if you use WINE. Got to love using emulation to run Windows products.

I would like to agree, and in some cases I do, however wine is not the beauty it sounds like on paper. It has loads of issues with a lot of smaller programs from unknown companies as well as things from MS. Its not good for games as well as it requires a lot of resources. I see wine as option of last resort so to say if I can not find an open source compatible equivalent. Its more of an afterthought that isn't really needed unless you are like me and run a multi-os network environment, in which case it can be a pain.
RuneX
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 am

I do not disagree but I remember hearing from a friend that we knew of a version of WINE that you basically have to purchase for I can't remember if it is $10 or $20 but he said that it was a version that was designed specifically for games. I cannot remember what it is called exactly or how well it works but still.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby RuneX » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:09 pm

There are various PC emulators on linux that work to a varying degreee, however, emulation will always be emulation, meaning that it will never be perfect. Especially when dealing with PC software. Hell, even our browsers are not fully compatible with each other. (ie. chrome, IE, and firefox all have issues with sites that one or both the others can see)

However, yes, it is another option for gaming. Which is certainly better than nothing, as the games selection on linux is abhorrent.
RuneX
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Tech Talk