Youtube Question

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Youtube Question

Postby kirschy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:35 pm

When I punch something into Youtube's search box, I get some weird characters at the top of the tab. And I get random characters all over the place in the file name when I use Youtube Downloader. I'm using Internet Explorer 8 and Youtube downloader 2.5.7. I'm not sure if its just something on my computer is corrupted (we had power flickers when I was reinstalling Windows recently) or if other people are having the same problem. In which case its not a problem on my machine but something at Youtube.

What shows up in the search window:

What shows up in Youtube Downloader:
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Re: Youtube Question

Postby si1vergecko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm

I personally have not seen problems like this pertaining to youtube.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby chibianimefan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm not sure myself... I'll have to ask my friend who makes youtube poops, he's sure to know.
*i am chibimetal, the chibi shoujo fan*

Thanks Kirschy

http://metal-the-otaku.livejournal.com/ Fear the power of EMO!!!

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:33 pm

The only thing I can think of would be if something changed your page encoding or the system font/regional settings.
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby chibianimefan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm

my friend thinks it has something to do with the new autoplay bar at the bottom of the page that youtube has installed without us knowing... there's a code on the page now that brings up the bar but it's never the same each time, we've noticed that it is in the link usually but never in the same place.

Youtube has done a lot in the past to just screw the users since google bought them... until we uncover more, this is all we have Kirschy.

As for the strange file name, I think Youtube is corrupting their files from being downloaded... an anti-piracy measure that is rather annoying. My pooper friend has yet to find a way to bypass it, he says it proves to be lengthy and almost never works a second time as he has to keep changing DL software.

Thanks Kirschy

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks for checking into this for me guys. I'm still hoping this is something on youtube's site that's messing with IE, etc... Especially since its doing the same thing on Mom's computer too.

The only thing I can think of would be if something changed your page encoding or the system font/regional settings.

I'll have to check when I get home on Sunday, but I don't think that has happened. I can't rule it out though since I'm not home since I just reinstalled Windows on Thursday. Worst case scenario, I can just reinstall Windows again and whatever corrupted Windows will be gone and the system settings will be restored.

For what its worth, I was getting the same thing on Mom's computer (XP SP3, IE8) and its set to Unicode UTF-8 for the browser and United Sates for the regional settings for the system.

my friend thinks it has something to do with the new autoplay bar at the bottom of the page that youtube has installed without us knowing... there's a code on the page now that brings up the bar but it's never the same each time, we've noticed that it is in the link usually but never in the same place.

Youtube has done a lot in the past to just screw the users since google bought them... until we uncover more, this is all we have Kirschy.

That's as good a guess as anything I suppose. I just can't figure out why it shows up in the search page but not the video pages.

As for the strange file name, I think Youtube is corrupting their files from being downloaded... an anti-piracy measure that is rather annoying. My pooper friend has yet to find a way to bypass it, he says it proves to be lengthy and almost never works a second time as he has to keep changing DL software.

Except it doesn't work. All you have to do is remove the excess characters and Youtube Downloader will pull the file down fine. And if it is an anti-piracy measure, the next version of Youtube Downloader will compensate in a few days or weeks, so what's the point.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby chibianimefan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:56 am

I have no idea, but I never download from youtube...

Thanks Kirschy

chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Since I had to run home to pick up something I'd forgotten, I did a quick check. IE8 is set to unicode- utf8 encoding. My system language is set to English (US). My location is set to United States. So it doesn't look like that's the problem.

I might try reinstalling Windows (again) in a couple days and see if that fixes it. If not, its an issue with Youtube and IE8 not getting along. (Big surprise there.)
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby chibianimefan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm thinking it is IE and Youtube not getting along, my friend has no problems with Google Chrome or Firefox... we aren't trying Opera

Thanks Kirschy

chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:32 pm

chibianimefan wrote:I'm thinking it is IE and Youtube not getting along, my friend has no problems with Google Chrome or Firefox... we aren't trying Opera

Wouldn't surprise me. Though for what its worth, its a new problem. I just noticed it this past week. Who knows, maybe the next time I reinstall Windows that will cure the problem.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby chibianimefan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:04 am

perhaps, one will only know in due time... I'm not getting the problem too much anymore. I only get it when I search from sponsored pages now. (strange no? I always assumed if someone was sponsored, it would just be ads and not the autoplay bar at the bottom...)

Thanks Kirschy

chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm still getting it when I search from the Youtube homepage. But like you said, maybe its something that will be fixed in time. Certainly nothing else that can be done about it.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Kruszer » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Long shot, but that was right around when every internet streaming video site I ever knew of was screwing around with their player to accommodate some new Adobe Flash player update that rendered them all useless piles of garbage. I know it's been a while but if you're still having the odd issue you could try looking to see if your Flash player needs an update. Most places have debugged it by now except for the ANN player which has some issue with my Add Blocker.
“The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face. Frown at it, and it will in turn look sourly upon you; laugh at it and with it, and it is a jolly kind companion.”
-William Makepeace Thackeray

Kruszer
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Kruszer wrote:Long shot, but that was right around when every internet streaming video site I ever knew of was screwing around with their player to accommodate some new Adobe Flash player update that rendered them all useless piles of garbage. I know it's been a while but if you're still having the odd issue you could try looking to see if your Flash player needs an update. Most places have debugged it by now except for the ANN player which has some issue with my Add Blocker.

The issue seems to have sorted itself out. I'm not sure whether it was another update to Flash player or what that solved the problem or what. But its fixed. I just didn't think to post that.

For what its worth, I'd say your explanation of an update to Adobe probably is what happened.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Return to Tech Talk