Toshiba laptops overheating

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Toshiba laptops overheating

Postby Mayor_Adam_West » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Anyone else have a Toshiba laptop with overheating issues? Mine has a tendency to get extremely hot. Don't think a fan has blown, but I was just wondering if anyone else has similar issues.
Mayor_Adam_West
Shinmai
Shinmai

Re: Toshiba laptops overheating

Postby kirschy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 pm

This is the first I've heard anything of it. However a quick search turned up a number of articles/posts/how-tos where people talk about Toshiba laptops (and laptops in general) having heat issues. The solution seems to be pretty simple... Clean the dust out of the heat-sink. As always... be very careful when working on the innards of a laptop as they're hard to take apart and even harder to get back together in working order.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Toshiba+ ... ing+issues
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Mayor_Adam_West » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 pm

I'll have to try it. In the meantime, I'll just go buy a cooling mat.

I was a bit afraid when I had my laptop in a bag with a bottle of Makers Mark that broke. Fortunately, the clothes in the bag soaked up most of the alcohol. The laptop saw nary a drop.

BTW, I get that subtle "learn2google" there. :mrgreen:
Mayor_Adam_West
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby kirschy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Mayor_Adam_West wrote:I'll have to try it. In the meantime, I'll just go buy a cooling mat.

Or just make sure you sit the laptop on a hard surface (like a desk) so that air can actually flow around it and help cool it. Sitting them on your lap generally results in really crappy air-flow.

Mayor_Adam_West wrote:BTW, I get that subtle "learn2google" there. :mrgreen:

Know nothing about what talking about you are do I...

Seriously though, I really hadn't heard anything about Toshiba laptops over-heating. So I did a search to see if there was a huge commentary about it. Turns out it seems the problem is more a result of how laptops in general are built than anything specific to Toshiba laptops...

For what its worth, this sort of issue thing is one of the reasons I like desktops. The other reasons being the lower cost, higher reliability, and ease of maintenance (IE I can usually use off-the-shelf parts to repair them). Unfortunately even using a bare-bones system as a starting point its hard to get a decent desktop for under $300. I've checked... Even with a Celery chip, you're looking at at least $100 for the bare-bones system, $50-$60 for the chip, probably $50-$60 ram, and $70 for the hard drive... And that unhappy thought once again reminds me that I need to start saving money for a new desktop since my newest desktop was made in 2005...
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Mayor_Adam_West » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd like to build a new desktop, my old one crapped out finally last year. Just don't have the funds at the moment.
Mayor_Adam_West
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 am

The overheating problem has been around for sometime, and not with just Toshiba's Laptops.

If your worried about opening up the case.
Try to first blow compressed air though the case fan vents.
This should get most of the dust out.
If doesn't resolve the problem, then start disassembly of the Laptop.
Clean the fan {or fans} and heatsinks with a small soft bristle {Wood Handle} brush, and compressed air.

I don't know how they have been mounting the heatsink/fan assemblies for the processor on the newer Laptops.
But on the older Gateways the Heatsink compound wound dry out between the processor and Heatsink/fan assembly.
This was because the fan was getting clogged with dust, causing the processor to get overheated and in some cases fail.

Carefully check the CPU Heatsink.
It should be firmly mounted to the top of the CPU.
If it is loose, but holding clips are intact.
It is possible the heatsink compound as dried out, and is no long providing proper cooling.

One thing that Gamers have done on desktop, or tower machines was to Lap the Processor Heatsink.
Basically your removing the Heatsink/Fan assembly.
And you polish the contact side that goes against the top of the processor.
You polish it till you have a mirror like surface that you can see yourself in.
Then use fresh heatsink compound when remounting it to the processor.
This will give you about a 3% to 4% more extra cooling.

As for new Mini-Tower's......
Check this out.
http://www.nanosys1.com/sys-hv102.html
You will need to add a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
But you will still come under $400.00.

Signed: Ensign Janitor Tzap
Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 pm

I'd like to build a new desktop, my old one crapped out finally last year. Just don't have the funds at the moment.

I hear that. Which is why I mentioned starting with a bare-bones system. That way you just have to buy your CPU, hard-drive, memory, and optical drive. Well that and the fact that to a point a bare-bones system lets you upgrade in stages...

As for new Mini-Tower's...... Check this out. You will need to add a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. But you will still come under $400.00.

That's at least as good of a deal as the bare-bones system I've been keeping an eye on. I figured that with a Celery chip I could piece together a functional system for around $250-$300. I'm going to bookmark that link. Thanks Tzap.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:35 pm

kirschy wrote:

I hear that. Which is why I mentioned starting with a bare-bones system. That way you just have to buy your CPU, hard-drive, memory, and optical drive. Well that and the fact that to a point a bare-bones system lets you upgrade in stages...

As for new Mini-Tower's...... Check this out. You will need to add a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. But you will still come under $400.00.

That's at least as good of a deal as the bare-bones system I've been keeping an eye on. I figured that with a Celery chip I could piece together a functional system for around $250-$300. I'm going to bookmark that link. Thanks Tzap.
Yeah,
no problem.

I looked at the Bare-bones from Newegg.com.
After reading what both systems have with them.
General Nano Systems wins for price, and for what all you can get with it. :wink:
{More Bang For The Buck!}

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby PaladinBlue » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Mine gets really hot now even if I leave it on a table. I bought a cooling pad for its size and, though the case around the touchpad sometimes gets hot (probably because my hands are lying on it), I've not had any more problems with heating.
PaladinBlue
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Tsuyoshi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:18 pm

My dell's video card died cause of the heat after 2 years when something would tax it. Seems most notebooks these days just can't cool as well as they should. Of course, that probably has something to do with the fact people don't want loud fans in them. <.<
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:07 pm

PaladinBlue wrote:Mine gets really hot now even if I leave it on a table. I bought a cooling pad for its size and, though the case around the touchpad sometimes gets hot (probably because my hands are lying on it), I've not had any more problems with heating.
In the link kirschy provide from a google search.
The problem of over heating is a processor problem.
{Not because your hands are resting on it.}
Basically the Laptop makers are cramming a higher wattage,
and higher speed processor in a laptop case without giving it enough ventilation.
Plus, heat from the Video processor, Hard Drive, and Li-Battery packs will also contribute too the heat problem.
The cooling pads help, but just make sure all the vents are clear and not blocked.

I saw a gaming Laptop that a guy had made a blower fan mod to it because he had over-clocked it.
I'll see if I can find the photo.

Hmm...
Can't seem to find it.
Well, here's a cheap fan mod. :lol:

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Mayor_Adam_West » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:35 am

But I could spend the money I would use to get a computer on the poker table. Turn that $250-$300 into $500...
Mayor_Adam_West
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby kirschy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Mayor_Adam_West wrote:But I could spend the money I would use to get a computer on the poker table. Turn that $250-$300 into $500...

You could just as easily turn that $250-$300 into $0... Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against gambling per-se. After all I play the dollar instant-lotto once or twice a month. But I wouldn't even consider gambling with that kind of money.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Mayor_Adam_West » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:54 pm

I only gamble with about $100. I only play limit tables. But I also have to save up to fly home for leave in about a month and a half.
Mayor_Adam_West
Shinmai
Shinmai

Return to Tech Talk