Need help in some coding

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Need help in some coding

Postby ANIMENIAC78 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 am

Can someone help me in some coding? I'm trying to get a survey to write the data to a file.txt on a server. If anyone knows how to do this, it'll be a big help.
Here's my code, if you want to see it.
A-Amazing! Decantering from such a height!

PSN ID (US): Animeniac78
PSN ID (JPN): NihonXnoXShonen
Wii Friend Code: 7897 3793 1639 1486
ANIMENIAC78
Okame
Okame

Re: Need help in some coding

Postby kirschy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 pm

At this point, I doubt I remember how to do what you're wanting to do. (At one point I knew how to make Visual Basic write data to text files (I think), but its been so long since I used Visaul Basic that I know I couldn't do it now. At least not without getting out my text book and relearning the language.)

Probably the best advice I could give you for doing this is to not use Javascript for this application. I did some checking online to be sure, but basically Javascript isn't supposed to be able to do this. Its not designed to be able to write anything to the local operating system, much less a server. Additionally its supposed to allow you to write interpretted programs that run in the client's browser, not run programs on the server. You'd be better off using a server-side scripting language like Asp.net, Php, Python, Ruby... And the easiest way to do what you want is probably to use Visual Basic.net as your development environment to write the Asp.net program.

That said, there's supposedly a way to do it. But it only works in IE. And even then some of the time. And even then it doesn't look like the file will be stored on your server.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Return to Tech Talk