Ethernet controller issues (Can't connect to the internet)

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Ethernet controller issues (Can't connect to the internet)

Postby Selaphiel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Basically, somehow, while uninstalling my video card today (As discussed MONTHS ago here), I ended up uninstalling the drivers for my Ethernet controller.

I already know where to download new ones off of the Intel website, but aside from knowing that's it's intel, I have absolutely no idea what kind of ethernet controller I have.

Basically, my question is, how do I figure out which drivers to install?

(Side note: The funny part is that they have automatic online scans to point out the right drivers for you, except my lack of drivers prevents me from getting online...)

EDIT:

Update: I've been looking online a bit more specifically at my model of computer (HP Pavilion a6514f desktop, Vista) and I literally cannot find the ethernet controller drivers...
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Re: Ethernet controller issues (Can't connect to the internet)

Postby kirschy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:32 pm

The really easy way:
Go to system restore and see if you have a restore point from before you deleted the driver. If you do, restore your computer and it should fix the problem. If it doesn't, we'll go to the easy way.

The easy way:
Right click on My Computer. Click properties. Click hardware. Click device manager. Look for the ethernet card. It should be either under network adapter or showing up as a question mark. Right click on the ethernet card and choose update driver. Allow Windows to get online to do so. (Windows has basic ethernet drivers built in so you should still be able to get the driver.) Windows update will then go out and see if Microsoft has a driver for your hardware. Odds are they have one. If you absolutely can't get online you move onto the hard way.

The hard way:
Go to HP's website and see if they have the driver. (They should. However finding it may be difficult.)
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

The really annoying way:
Get out the restore disk and reinstall Windows and all the drivers that are on the restore disk. (You do have a Windows/restore disk right?)

The bang my head against the wall way:
If all else fails... Download an Ubuntu .iso and burn an Ubuntu install disk. Put that in your computer and restart it. Follow the onscreen prompts. When you're done... Congratulations! You're now a Linux user.

Edit:
If you abosutely can't find the drivers try calling HP Tech Support.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Selaphiel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the tips, Kirschy. I'd already tried the easy/hard ways, saved the "really easy" as a next-to-next-to-last resort (Because I'd have to re-uninstall my old video card and reactive the onboard one...)

But I ended up restoring to this morning, and it worked.
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Postby kirschy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Selaphiel wrote:Thanks for all the tips, Kirschy. I'd already tried the easy/hard ways, saved the "really easy" as a next-to-next-to-last resort (Because I'd have to re-uninstall my old video card and reactive the onboard one...)

But I ended up restoring to this morning, and it worked.

I'm glad to hear that you got it working again. And I'm really glad to hear that system restore fixed the problem. I'll have to file that in my useful information file. Now do me a favor... Actually make it two favors... (1. Don't delete your ethernet drivers again. After all, next time you might not be so lucky. (2. Make sure you have a restore disk so if the worst happens, you can reinstall Windows and all the necessary drivers. :-D
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Return to Tech Talk