Microsoft Courier Tablet

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Microsoft Courier Tablet

Postby ArrowSmith » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKnA9yIYYY&feature=fvw
http://www.pcworld.com/article/181487/m ... kdown.html

If this is for real, this could be a game changer for Microsoft. Something truly innovative and has that *WOW* factor that it seemed only Apple possesses. The earliest we'll see it is 2010 Q4. Here's hoping it's everything the articles talk about!
ArrowSmith
Shinmai
Shinmai

Re: Microsoft Courier Tablet

Postby si1vergecko » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:44 am

I do think that it is an interesting device and there are features for it that I like and don't like from what I read in the PC World article.

For one thing I view the fact it can fold up as a double edge sword. Sure it would make it smaller and when folded the screens would be protected. Still I would have trouble with the hinge in the middle thing; I would just prefer to have one larger screen personally.

The lack of any keyboard feature I simply raise an eyebrow at even if you can hand write the text into it. Is hand writing faster there as opposed to pocking at a keyboard on the screen with a stylus? For most people probably but having an option to use one would not be a bad idea.

Also not not sure useful the camera on it will be, depends on the location of it and how many megapixels I guess, but I do not think that would be the primary reason why people would purchase the device in the first place.

The functionality of it though would be pretty useful. It said that it had wifi support and maybe 3G so that would be useful. Its primary use as something to take notes in and to serve as a planner I am sure it will have no problems doing that at all.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:40 pm

The lack of any keyboard feature I simply raise an eyebrow at even if you can hand write the text into it. Is hand writing faster there as opposed to pocking at a keyboard on the screen with a stylus? For most people probably but having an option to use one would not be a bad idea.

There's also the little matter of getting handwriting recognition software that actually works correctly. Remember most people today don't have good handwriting.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby ArrowSmith » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:35 am

Guys - it will have a virtual keyboard. MSFT isn't stupid. Also I could see this as being an eReader AND *drumroll* you could read manga/GN on this!
ArrowSmith
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby Narcosis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:47 am

ArrowSmith wrote: MSFT isn't stupid.

They lost over $5 billion on the first Xbox.
The Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" cost them at least $3 billion due to faulty hardware (rumored 33% or higher defect rate).
Does anyone actually know a person in real life who owns a Zune?

Forgive me if I'm skeptical of any Microsoft hardware, but their track record is ass.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby geikou » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 am

MSFT isn't stupid.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. MS isn't exactly known for being complimented.

Also I could see this as being an eReader AND *drumroll* you could read manga/GN on this!

There's nothing (technological, at least) stopping a regular eReader from having manga on it and they're designed to be read. I.e. the screen looks like paper and is therefore not tiring to look at for long periods of time. I doubt this tablet is like that.

For me, the only interest I would have in a tablet (PC) is for art purposes. I don't think I want a seam in the middle of my screen. (Although I'd have to try it first.)
geikou
Senpai
Senpai

Postby ArrowSmith » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:31 am

geikou wrote:
MSFT isn't stupid.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. MS isn't exactly known for being complimented.

Also I could see this as being an eReader AND *drumroll* you could read manga/GN on this!

There's nothing (technological, at least) stopping a regular eReader from having manga on it and they're designed to be read. I.e. the screen looks like paper and is therefore not tiring to look at for long periods of time. I doubt this tablet is like that.

For me, the only interest I would have in a tablet (PC) is for art purposes. I don't think I want a seam in the middle of my screen. (Although I'd have to try it first.)

How does eInk help you with color GN like "Sin City"? It doesn't. Think bigger.
ArrowSmith
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby ArrowSmith » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:33 am

Narcosis wrote:
ArrowSmith wrote: MSFT isn't stupid.

They lost over $5 billion on the first Xbox.
The Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" cost them at least $3 billion due to faulty hardware (rumored 33% or higher defect rate).
Does anyone actually know a person in real life who owns a Zune?

Forgive me if I'm skeptical of any Microsoft hardware, but their track record is ass.

I know people who own an OLD Zune. The Zune HD is going to be very big. It's the first MSFT media player that can measure up to an iPod Touch. What MSFT still lacks is the equivalent of the Apple ecosystem(iPod + AppStore + iPhone + iPod Touch + Airport + Mac). Once they can figure that out - it's home free.
ArrowSmith
Shinmai
Shinmai

Return to Tech Talk