High End Web Cameras

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

High End Web Cameras

Postby Teggy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm working on a new personal project and need to find an unusual web camera set up.

Ideally, what I would like to do is to use two, high quality webcams with some kind of technology to switch between the two for doing interviews. At minimum, a camera I can just quickly swivel around.

One option I'm considering is an input switcher, the kind you use to switch between which game console, DVD player, etc. go into a television monitor. However, I would require some kind of USB (female) to RCA (male) cables to plug the webcams into it.

Please do not send me links to regular, consumer grade webcams. I have found plenty of those already. Thanks guys!
Teggy
Senpai
Senpai

Re: High End Web Cameras

Postby Tsuyoshi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

I would probably just use 2 actual digital cameras which typically can be used as live cams and general have high quality picture. I'm going to assume you want to do Live interviews and not recorded ones? I think the main issue would be software that could do a split screen.

Seems interesting to me as I might have a use for such things... so I'll see what I come up with.
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby Teggy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Can't get digital cameras, tried that.

I was looking into USB switchers, but most of them are designed to go from one peripheral to two computers. I need it to do the opposite. I need two peripherals to be switched into one computer. I'm wondering if I can find a switcher that will be all-USB connectors so maybe I can just use it backwards. Hard to say.
Teggy
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi Teggy,

Some one else was trying to do what you want to do.
Here's the posting from Tom's Hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20988 ... le-cameras

Hope that helps you.

Signed: Ensign Janitor Tzap
Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Teggy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Still searching. Talking with my tech pal, he thinks we need some kind of device that recognizes switched video feeds rather than switched inputs because that could cause a delay.

One important detail I forgot to mention: We're most likely using a laptop, so one of the cameras can be the built in one while the other is external...but I think that won't help at all. Then we'd have to manually change inputs within the webchat itself. It could be much easier to use two external cameras with one input. /headache
Teggy
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Hmm....

The only thing that I could find.
Is a CCTV setup that plugs into a tower/desktop case computer.
http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/ ... 25KIT.html

They don't carry a unit that would plug into your laptop.
Thou...
Doing live video feed from two or more sources, may be to hard for a laptop to handle.

I'll keep looking for now.

Signed: Ensign Janitor Tzap
Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Tech Talk