Site Access Problem

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Site Access Problem

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 pm

At first I going to post this in the site trouble shooting forum, however after doing some digging I figured out that the problem is MY computer (no one else seemed to be having the problem) so it seemed more logical to put it here. Basically when I try to access the site I get a white screen in the browser. No cannot access, no nothing; just white. I tried a different browser (Explorer) instead of Firefox and I got a cannot display page message. I rebooted, cleared internet data including cache and cookies and still nothing. Also defragmented to see if that had any effect at all for some reason.

I WAS able to access the site through a proxy server as well as with another computer on the same network. I have not had an opportunity to try with this laptop on a different network so yeah.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Also seems that I cannot access EITHER regular chat (which I never could recently anyway) and mibbit chat. Same blank white screen.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Re: Site Access Problem

Postby Tsuyoshi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Now I'll get a white screen like that on sites when my network gets busy and the traffic collides with other traffic, but never to that extent. So I was thinking if could be an issue with the router, but since you have tried on other networks... maybe it is your network adapter on the laptop. As I've said, I've seen the white screen of nothingness before and it's usually caused by data not getting through correctly.
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Could be the network adapter on the laptop. I hope not since I already had it replaced once. Have no problems with other sites. Just to clarify other computers can access it on this network. I have not tried my laptop on others. I also attempted a system restore wondering if some settings were screwed up and nothing. Would seem odd that it would be a traffic collision since I have no problem with a proxy site.

EDIT: Not that this means a dang thing but I managed to access the site off of a ubuntu disc no problem.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby chibianimefan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 pm

It's usually a traffic problem with me... your problem sounds kinda odd for a hardware problem, but I've seen stranger things.
*i am chibimetal, the chibi shoujo fan*

Thanks Kirschy

http://metal-the-otaku.livejournal.com/ Fear the power of EMO!!!

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm

chibianimefan wrote:your problem sounds kinda odd for a hardware problem, but I've seen stranger things.

Well I ruled out a hardware problem since I took my laptop to my campus and effortlessly accessed the site. So I cannot access it normally with my laptop with my ISP. This is making less and less sense the more I dig.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 pm

si1vergecko wrote:Well I ruled out a hardware problem since I took my laptop to my campus and effortlessly accessed the site. So I cannot access it normally with my laptop with my ISP. This is making less and less sense the more I dig.

Try running trace-route. If its a network issue you might be able to get a better idea what's going on that way. For example, years ago when had Verizon DSL the first time, I couldn't get to Best Anime. So I did a trace-route on it. I found out there was a problem with the routing somewhere in Korea... Might be something similar if its an ISP specific problem for you.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:26 pm

I had a similar issue, but it turned out to be my modem/router.

Here's somethings you could try.

Windows XP

1. From your desktop, click Start > Command Prompt. This will launch a command prompt window.

2. At the prompt, type in "ipconfig /release". Wait for the command prompt to return.

3. At the prompt, type in "ipconfig /renew". Wait for the command prompt to return.

4. At the prompt, type in "exit".

Windows Vista

1. From your desktop, click the Windows Start button to launch the Start menu. Select All Programs > Accessories.
On the Accessories menu, using your right mouse button, click Command Prompt
and select Run as administrator using your left mouse button.

If you receive a User account control pop-up window, select Continue.
The Command Prompt window should now launch.

2. At the prompt, type in "ipconfig /release", and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
Wait for the command prompt to return.

3. At the prompt, type in "ipconfig /renew", and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
Wait for the command prompt to return.

4. At the prompt, type in "exit".

This resets the IP/Configuration between your computer and modem/router.

Another thing that may help is Disk Cleanup.
If you have Windows XP.
You'll find it under the System Tools tab.
{I have no idea where you find it in Vista.}
Make sure before you run it, that the Webcache Files and any other Cache Files are checked in the box.
If you don't check the box, the cache isn't cleared.

Well, that's my two cents.

Signed: Ensign Janitor Tzap
Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 pm

si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 am

Looks like the problem is at the server/node 64.122.119.90. Probably your ISP is routing all the traffic to the Haisho's server over that node and its not forwarding it for some reason. The reason that the proxy worked was you were routed over a different path. You can try the stuff Zap suggested, but my guess would be a problem farther down the line, kinda like I had with BestAnime.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah, I think kirschy may be is right.

But lets cover all the bases.
You said the other computers on this network don't have this problem?
Yes?

Ok,
Check the WiFi manufacturers website for the latest drivers, and get them installed on to the offending computer.
Then do another Trace-Route, and see if that solves it.
No?

The next step would be to swap WiFi cards from the one computer to the other.
Then see if the problem goes away on the one computer, but then ends up on the other computer.
If this happens. Then the one WiFi card is the culprit.

{Don't be surprised if the card has gone bad, unfortunately a lot of the stuff coming out of China has been crap.} :wink:

If your still under the warranty with the WiFi card.
Go to the manufacturers website and see about getting a replacement.

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Yeah I made sure I had the latest drivers a while ago. Cannot exactly swap wifi cards since it is integrated in my laptop. Also clearing the cache was one of the first things I did. Also I already had my wifi card work with when i had my laptop recalled and that was only a couple months ago.

Also tried what you suggested tzap but for some reason my laptop has this stupid quirk where if I disconnect from a wifi network it will not reconnect to it. Still had it.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Is this that HP Pavilion dv6451us laptop that you had connection issues with back in July?

If this is.....
I think it's time to have a talk with HP about getting it repaired, or replaced.

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:33 am

Well since I had nothing better to attempt I unplugged my router and my modem. No effect there.

I also googled the IP address above and it seems that others have had issues with that address as well. Apparently some people are having connections tied up on Portland Oregon (the apparent source of the address).
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 am

si1vergecko wrote:I also googled the IP address above and it seems that others have had issues with that address as well. Apparently some people are having connections tied up on Portland Oregon (the apparent source of the address).

Routing problem then... Nothing you can do about it until your ISP and/or the server/router owner gets its routing tables/peering agreements/hardware issues straightened out. Sorry man.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Ok, then....

I thought you just might still be having issues with the WiFi built into that HP Laptop.

I'm wondering......
You stated that the other computers can access the website just fine, didn't you?
I'd try another route-trace from one of the other computers on the network,
and see if the IP address 64.122.119.90 comes up again with the problem.
If it does, then that would clinch it.

There use to be a way to avoid or restrict bad IP's in the windows network settings from being used.
I'll see if I can't find that info.

Last edited by Ensign Janitor Tzap on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 pm

Tzap, that's for Samba file-servers in a LAN. Its not intended to work on the Internet.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Oops. :oops:
{I've got to stop just skimming over those headers, and read it more slowly.} :roll:

Well, I'll keep looking.

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Ok I did a trace route on another computer in the house and it did get hung up on the same IP address. The odd thing though is I was still able to access the site on it, though it did take a little longer then usual to initially load the forum. This is making less and less sense.

As for restricting IP's when I was poking around in the router settings the other day I did see some options to block specific IP addresses, though I somehow doubt it would help here.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Hmm.......

I still haven't found anything about restricting certain addresses in windows.

But I did find a feature in my FireWall Program that restricts some sites from your computer.
It also has some features that stop cookies from being accepted from certain sites.
Or stopping second or third party cookies from being placed onto your computer.
{Some sites require that your computer accept these cookies.}

Check your Browser Fire Fox.
See if the settings in Fire Fox on the other computers are similar.

Check Anti-Virus/Spyware scanning programs that stay resident in memory.
Most of the new software Scanners have a "Web-Watch" feature that scans in coming data from a site.
This can slow down your browser, especially on a slower machine.

Plus, If you have other stuff running in the background.
That will slow down your browser too.

Well now I'm just spit balling Ideas, and seeing what might stick. :lol:

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 am

Ok I did a trace route on another computer in the house and it did get hung up on the same IP address. The odd thing though is I was still able to access the site on it, though it did take a little longer then usual to initially load the forum. This is making less and less sense.

That (slow load time) sounds like the data was re-routed and for the stuff that didn't make it the first time was resent via a different route. Basically Gecko, it normally doesn't matter how the data is routed since TCP/IP has provisions for resending data (which is why every TCP/IP packet has an ACK/SEN number) that gets lost and the Internet is designed to be able to route data to a given site/server around any breaks in the system (which is what you basically have). The problem you're occurring happens when (1. an ISP's peering agreements only leave one path to a site. (2. the break in the route is far enough along that its a last mile issue (essentially there's only one physical path/ISP to a given server). The thing is option two shouldn't be what's happening here. Neither should option 1 really. It really does sound like someone fouled up a router configuration and its taking a while for the DNS servers to figure out they need to route around it.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Next

Return to Tech Talk