DVD Ripping Software

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

DVD Ripping Software

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm

I thought about ripping some of my movies so I can watch some of it on the go. Does anyone know of any good free programs that will do the job? I tried a few but so far the best one I found the sound was out of sync, which was especially noticeable with longer video files so it did not fly. I keep hearing that programs you pay for are the best options usually, but they aren't free are they?
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Re: DVD Ripping Software

Postby kirschy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:11 pm

This is one of those areas where you're going to have to experiment a bit Gecko. I don't mess with this. I'm also not sure that its something we should be discussing since ripping video from DVDs means cracking DRM, and that's (technically) illegal under the DMCA. (That's why Real DVD, which would do exactly what you want, is tied up in the courts.) You might want to run this by the boss-man and see what he says about this topic and whether its safe to discuss it and recommend programs. (Who knows, he might not only allow it, but have some programs he could recommend. :wink: ) However if you do a Google search you can probably find quite a few free tools to experiment with. :wink:
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Tsuyoshi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 pm

The only free version that I've found to be any goo is DVD Decrypter. However, it's a dead project due the kirschy's comments. I however have paid for the #1 decrypting software which continually updates their product for the new schemes being implemented daily. That would be Any DVD. (I also have Clone DVD from them which recodes the dvd files to fit back on a single layer DVD.)
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby kirschy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:18 am

However, it's a dead project due the kirschy's comments.

I didn't make the DMCA, I just described what it did. :roll: I think we all know that if I wrote it, it would have been extremely different and the music, movie, etc... industries would be oinking like stuck pigs since I'd have cut the copyright period for music and video to one non-renewable term of 10 years before they become public domain, required software to be open-sourced/made public domain when the company discontinues support, had books become public domain 20 years after they're first published, and radically strengthened fair use. :twisted:

Anyway... if what I've read about this topic is accurate, (though its pretty dated at this point) most of the work on software for copying DVDs is being done in Europe and Asia/Oceania these days since they're usually not as strict about cracking DVD encryption. I didn't know DVD Decrypter was dead though. Meh... Been too long since I read anything on this topic beyond the Real DVD stuff...
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Return to Tech Talk