Wireless Connection Problems

Post all your computer, tech, and gadget talk here.

Wireless Connection Problems

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Here is the problem in a nutshell; my computer is disconnecting from the internet which I get from the wireless router in my house only a few mere minutes after booting. Diagnostics never solve it and the only way to reestablish a connection is to restart the computer, which is as tedious as it sounds. From the process of initially start to write this post and posting it this happened no less then 3 times.

At first I thought it was just the router but I had this issue we multiple locations. It could be that the wireless card had gone bad BUT the most success I had was when I used a restore point that went a little less then 3 weeks back and that SEEMED to fix the problem at first only for the problem to plague me the next day. That implies to me that it might be a software issue and that some automatic update could be messing everything up. I did attempt to reinstall the driver and update it but to no avail.

My OS is Vista and the laptop model is an HP Pavilion dv6451us. More widely known as the dv6000 for some reason.

I did consider the idea of formatting but I don't have a Vista disk being stuck with a second back up hard drive I am not exactly sure how to use and I am not 100% sure XP will work on this laptop (the disk I do have). Any advice would be awesome.

And no I have not at this point tried directly connecting to the router with a cable.

EDIT: I have done some browsing online and it seems that this problem with this model is not uncommon. It seems that for some reason that HP recommended a BIOS update but that sounds just stupid and does not sound like it was very successful to begin with.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Re: Wireless Connection Problems

Postby Tsuyoshi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm

A bios update could very well help with the issue
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby si1vergecko » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 pm

Another issue that I seem to be having a lot recently, and I do not know if it is related to the same problem, but there have been at least 4 instances where my computer froze and crashed and would not boot for a half hour or so. Could be an overheating issue but who knows.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 pm

you need to do a few things...

1) update the bios
2) clean the air intakes, etc. and make sure you have airflow
3) run the memory diagnostics to rule out memory issues
4) save and then restore the system
5) if it continues.... sucks to be you :P
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby kirschy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:15 pm

DFarthing wrote:5) if it continues.... sucks to be you :P

Actually if it continues get ready for 6 months of HP tech support/phone support hell. Then another three months when your lawyer handles the company for you until HP finally decides they sold you a lemon and refunds your money.

No... I'm still not bitter after my last experiences with HP back in 2004... :roll:

I agree with DF, the shutdown issue you're describing sounds a lot like the laptop is over-heating, especially if you're running on AC power when it happens.

As for the bios update... That could help. Just be really careful to follow all the bios company's instructions when you do it.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Gunny » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 am

A bios update sounds smart.

And overheating is more then likely the issue with the random shutdowns. Try to prop up the laptop if you can to ensure proper airflow. (I know they sell those laptop stands with the fans and stuff, but a book works just as well to get airflow under the laptop.). When the laptop is on, simply feel for fan heat out of the ducts. If there is none...well..possible heatsink/fan failure.

I'm actually having a possible heat issue with my desktop as well. (I think the heatsinks have failed on the CPU, and it's tripping the failsafe on my mobo, because everytime I swap the CMOS battery, I get a thermal warning....oh well. I have my laptop)
Gunny
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:20 am

I got to agree on the second issue, that your most likely over heating.
Clean out the dust, and hope the bearings on the fans aren't failing.

Gunny,
If your fan or fans in the laptop aren't failing.
{If they are failing, you'll hear them start to whine, or rattle.}
Make sure the heatsink on the CPU is seated properly,
and that the thermal paste hasn't all dried out, and gotten hard.

Had a Intel P4 3.0 Gig based computer come in.
The fans were completely caked with dust.
The thermal paste had dried out, on the processor.
It fried as well as the main board.

Well.....
Good luck.

Signed: Ensign Janitor Tzap
Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby si1vergecko » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Well I tried a few more things. I updated the driver again. I updated the BIOS. Nothing.

The whole reformat idea sounds really tempting now but the aforementioned reasons still remain.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 pm

si1vergecko wrote:Well I tried a few more things. I updated the driver again. I updated the BIOS. Nothing.

The whole reformat idea sounds really tempting now but the aforementioned reasons still remain.

Reformatting probably wouldn't solve your wi-fi issue. You could try it, but all its going to do is restore the computer's software to a known state. Usually that's what you want since that removes things like malware or software incompatibilities caused by things we install. But in this instance if the known state or even updated known state has problems with its wireless card...

Out of curiosity Gecko, do you have any other computers in your house that use the same wireless router? I ask because I'm trying to rule out a problem with the router.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby si1vergecko » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:01 am

Like I said in chat there are other comps in the household and they have no problems. Once again, this comp has had problems on multiple Wifi connections.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:16 am

At that point about all you can do is try a different (notebook) pci wireless card or hope that someone writes a patch for the problem.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Hmm....

You have tried using wifi at say a Starbucks, or some of the other places that provide free wifi?

It may be as kirschy says, an issue with the wifi card.
Try a different brand card in the laptop.
Or is it built into the laptop?
If that's the case, you may be out of luck. :(

You did a BIO's update for: the Laptop, or for your Router?
Or did you do both?

I've come across lots of strange problems with equipment compatibility.
HP & Compaq computers are notorious for them.

It use to be that they would have equipment compatibility listings on their support site.
That way I could avoid the trouble, and hassle of trying to find one that would work. :wink:

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:44 pm

It may be as kirschy says, an issue with the wifi card. Try a different brand card in the laptop. Or is it built into the laptop? If that's the case, you may be out of luck. :(

Based on what Gecko said in chat last night, it sounds like the card's built into the laptop. I suggested he try a USB or Notebook PCI cardslot wifi cards, but I don't know that he's interested in going that route.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Ensign Janitor Tzap » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 pm

kirschy wrote:Based on what Gecko said in chat last night, it sounds like the card's built into the laptop. I suggested he try a USB or Notebook PCI cardslot wifi cards, but I don't know that he's interested in going that route.

Hmmm.....
That may be a problem if it is built into the Laptop.

Because before he could try a external wifi card, or USB plug in device.
He has to disable the built in card, and from experience with the HP & Compaq's.
That can be nearly impossible.

Ensign Janitor Tzap
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Tech Talk