[Anime] The End of Evangelion

Post and share your Detailed reviews of anime, manga & related things.

[Anime] The End of Evangelion

Postby Narcosis » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:04 am

Neon Genesis Evangelion is considered to be one of the greatest achievements in the entire history of anime. The depth of its story and characters along with the mysteries held within have made it a fan favorite amongst otaku since its release. However, it has also been one of the most controversial anime titles because of the final two episodes. Eva's first 24 episodes tell the story of a lone organization, NERV, and it's three teenaged Evangelion pilots battling against invasions by mysterious beings known as Angels and battling their own psychological torments all amidst a very dark backdrop of apocalyptic Judeo-Christian mythology. However, most fans were jolted to discover that episodes 25 and 26 abandon a straight narrative and instead finish the series with 2 episodes of psychological analysis and cross-examination of several main characters. There are some quick mentions of what is going on in the story, but mostly the viewer is left to sift through nearly an hour's worth of abstract imagery that sometimes resembles an art school film to try and figure out what's going on. The reaction to this in Japan was quite shocking, many Eva fanatics became so enraged at the show and it's creator, Hideaki Anno, that they even threatened to kill him.
Fast forward a few years later to the creation of one of the most shocking, disturbing, and yet somehow beautiful films ever made: The End of Evangelion.
The End of Evangelion takes up right where episode 24 of the TV series left off. Shinji is a wreck, having been forced to kill his friend Kowaru. Asuka is so psychologically tormented from her own failures and her previous mind rape from an Angel that she is comatose. And Rei.....well, let's just say that knowing you are the third clone can mess with your head a little. Misato suspects that with the final Angel's defeat that the upper management of NERV, most notably Gendo Ikari, are up to something suspicious with the Human Instrumentality Project.
It is with this setup that Gainax and Anno present a very twisted and disturbing end to the Eva saga. From the first scene all the restraints of the TV show are tossed. Although the Eva series had it's moments of violence gore and shocking behavior, nothing could have prepared most Eva fans for what was about to come. And as shocking as that opening scene and that grotesque act of Shinji's was, that was nothing compared to what happened next. EoE from that point begins to resemble an amazing but cynical response to the hateful fanboys. It's almost as though they gave them everything they wanted, but did it in a way that was intentionally ugly and disturbing.
The Ritsuko/Gendo/Yuri/Rei situation is somewhat resolved, but the fact that they muted Gendo's final words to Ritsuko can be seen as a middle finger statement to the fans. Many fans never felt that Asuka got her moment to shine in battle, so they give her a huge chunk of the film to fight an amazing battle against the SEELE war machine, but with the arrival of Eva Units 05-13, the end result is a very violent and disturbing end for Asuka that can be somewhat hard to watch. Misato drags the hopelessly depressed and mopy Shinji around and finally talks some sense into him before biting the big one herself, and all this happens while the rest of NERVs staff is slaughtered relentlessly by the SEELE military.
As the film reaches it's halfway point, Third Impact begins and all logic and sanity are thrown out the window. The surreal imagery and events depicted are very hard to describe to someone who hasn't seen it, and the meaning behind them is even harder to describe. This is the half of the film that truly makes EoE a masterpiece. It is a work that is designed to make you think, rather than just sit back and absorb. it doesn't pretend to have the answers, instead it makes you seek your own. For many, that can be confusing and frustrating, a situation that seems to be pointed out by the live action shot of a crowded movie theater staring back at the audience. There is much speculation as to what this means, and I personally buy into the theory that it's their way of telling all the fans that were looking to Gainax and Anno for the answers to Eva that they have to look at themselves. And after all this, in spite of the hatred for the confusing end to the series, they still give us a very strange final scene that leaves the viewer with more question than answers.
To put it simply, I rate The End of Evangelion as not just a masterpiece of anime, but of film in general. It's ability to give fans what they wanted yet still slap them in the face is truly brilliant, and the cinematic style and epic scope are pulled off with expert precision. I would strongly recommend that everyone check out the TV series first (reviewed on this very site by MGS05) and then follow it up by watching this film. I give EoE a very entusiastic 5/5.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby MGS05 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:49 am

Awesome Review itami. Very thorough and well written.

"It's ability to give fans what they wanted yet still slap them in the face is truly brilliant."

Heh heh, so true. :lol:
MGS05
Okame
Okame

Postby ChronoJehuty » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:38 pm

MGS05 wrote:Awesome Review itami. Very thorough and well written.

"It's ability to give fans what they wanted yet still slap them in the face is truly brilliant."

They won't know what to expect because their brains will melt.
ChronoJehuty
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby coldfusion5050 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:07 am

ChronoJehuty wrote:
MGS05 wrote:Awesome Review itami. Very thorough and well written.

They won't know what to expect because their brains will melt.

Only the weak. The rest of us strong ones will live on and lead humanity to . . . oh wait, that's what went wrong in EVA; man controlling too much. OMG, I learned from my past experience . . . what am I? [/satire and/or sarcasm]
Most condensed pic EVER!

The conceptions of good and evil form the base of the moral edifice, which has grown and fractaled through the epochs of history.
coldfusion5050
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby Ayato_Kamina » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:00 pm

*BUMP*

I feel EofE needs some lovin'
Ayato_Kamina
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Hopefully, not the kinda "lovin'" in the opening scene >_>
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby Ayato_Kamina » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:31 pm

No that Shinji's notion... I'm talking about the kind where we praise the 18 Angels and hope for utter and total apocalypse!!!
Ayato_Kamina
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Selaphiel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:34 pm

If I had been in Shinji's situation... I woulda found a condom and... erm, nvm.
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Postby si1vergecko » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:37 pm

I will give the film credit for one thing, Asuka's last stand was sweet. Though the appearance of Unit 01 looked imposing and awesome at first it was rather anticlimatic.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby kirschy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Nny wrote:If I had been in Shinji's situation... I woulda found a condom and... erm, nvm.

And you say you're not a hentai... You're starting to show your true colors Nny. And with DF's Asuka no less...  :lol:
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby chibianimefan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:56 am

My brain is still hurting from seeing EoE... not that it's a bad thing, I'm just confused about myself and society as well as humans in general.

At least my nightmares of the Giant Kaworu/Rei Lilith has gone away.
*i am chibimetal, the chibi shoujo fan*

Thanks Kirschy

http://metal-the-otaku.livejournal.com/ Fear the power of EMO!!!

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Veoryn87 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:56 am

Most f**ked up movie I've ever seen.
Made by ZeroSasurai.
Veoryn87
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Ayato_Kamina » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:55 am

I want nightmares of giant Rei...
Ayato_Kamina
Senpai
Senpai

Postby LinxCross » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 pm

Ayato_Kamina wrote:I want nightmares of giant Rei...

Don't forget that Rei has also a Kaworu in there. =)
It's a new frontier!!!
LinxCross
Senpai
Senpai

Postby chibianimefan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:42 pm

LinxCross wrote:
Ayato_Kamina wrote:I want nightmares of giant Rei...

Don't forget that Rei has also a Kaworu in there. =)

which is what my initial nightmare was
*i am chibimetal, the chibi shoujo fan*

Thanks Kirschy

http://metal-the-otaku.livejournal.com/ Fear the power of EMO!!!

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Anime & Manga Reviews