[Anime] Evangelion 1.0: You Are [Not] Alone

Post and share your Detailed reviews of anime, manga & related things.

[Anime] Evangelion 1.0: You Are [Not] Alone

Postby ANIMENIAC78 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Release Date: 01/09/2007
Director(s): Hideaki Anno (chief), Masayuki Yamaguchi, Kazuya Tsurumaki
Animation Studio: Studio Khara
Run Time: 110 Minutes

Overview:
The groundbreaking anime is back! After 12 years of its original television run, Neon Genesis Evangelion returns with four new movies.

Story: 7/10
The story is still the same. Fourteen-year-old Shinji Ikari is contacted by his father, Gendo Ikari, and is told to go to the fortress city of Tokyo-3 to fight giant invading monsters dubbed the Angels. This first movie retells the first 6 episodes of the series, from the arrival of Shinji to Tokyo-3 to the climactic Operation Yashima. Although the telling is virtually the same, there are a few differences, with some things being introduced way earlier than they are in the show. The only problem I had with it was that it felt like the scenes jump around a little too much. One moment Shinji's in the hospital, then all of a sudden he's looking over Tokyo-3. This makes the movie feel inconsistent, and simply like a bunch of disconnected scenes clumped together.

Tokyo-3 itself is more lively, with newly added scenes of people going about their daily lives when an Angel attacks. I think it adds something to the story the original series was missing. It's nice to see how people are reacting while an Angel is attacking, and where they all go.

Animation: 8/10
Unlike Zeta Gundam: A New Translation, Evangelion 1.0 is 99.9% newly animated scenes. There are a few seconds of reused scenes, like a close-up of Shinji's face, but even those are retouched and digitalized. The colors in the movie is more solid, but that's expected with the available technology. The main glamor comes from the fights. The Evas and Angels are incredibly animated, each feeling more alive with fluid movements than their stiff predecessors. There are also some cell shaded scenes, like when Eva-01's sniper scope drops down. A little gripe that I have is about the credits, they're unexciting and a little disappointing considering all of the other Evangelion movies. I would have enjoyed a retouch of the show's closing credits with Rei swimming down, along with Utada Hikaru's "Fly Me To The Moon." Luckily, the "Episode Preview" at the end of the movie really got me excited again.

The characters have a fresh look to them as well. Details to each character are paid attention to closely, with every character having a unique personality through their movements. And I must say, Rei never looked so squishy, if you know what scene I'm talking about. The Angels are also redesigned, Ramiel being the most redone. The only redesign I had problems with was Lilith's mask, but that only appears for one scene.

Audio: 8.5/10
All the voice actors are back for the movie, so I have nothing to say about that except that they're excellent!

The soundtrack of the movie is great, with old tunes making returns, along with newly ones. I was overjoyed when I heard the classic operation music with the drums, but the remix with violins sounds even better. The music is all well put, adding an atmosphere to each scene. Your heart will definitely begin pounding when Angel of Doom begins to play during Operation Yashima.

The sound effects are done well too. Eva-01's Beserker scream is remastered to sound more beastly, instead of the original car horn-like scream. I also enjoyed the background chatter of characters, making scenes seem more lively.

Final Word:
After 12 long years, Evangelion fever has been reborn. Although there are a few problems in the movie, they are few and overlookable. Redesigns make every aspect of the movie seem more alive and fluid, and characters have more unique personalities.

Final Score: 7.8/10
Last edited by ANIMENIAC78 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A-Amazing! Decantering from such a height!

PSN ID (US): Animeniac78
PSN ID (JPN): NihonXnoXShonen
Wii Friend Code: 7897 3793 1639 1486
ANIMENIAC78
Okame
Okame

Re: [Anime] Evangelion 1.0: You Are [Not] Alone

Postby Avalon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:14 am

Man, I gotta disagree with you on the story. I was somewhat disappointed with how they messed around with the pacing. Yes, it jumps around a lot from scene to scene but that's not my reason. Ahem, spoiler-mode commence

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A lot of people seem to gloss over this one for some reason lol. Yea, remember the part where Misato brings Shinji down to Central Dogma? Major offense there would be having Misato know that's Lilith and not Adam. I might be wrong since it's been awhile since I saw the series but I'm pretty sure Misato thought that was ADAM. The whole reveal of it being Lilith from the series was pretty big imo because it further shows how far the deception within NERV goes - even keeping high-ranking members like Misato in the dark. I mean, I can understand why the story would be reworked this way, so the viewer can see that NERV is pulling the strings behind everything from the start (like all the cuts to Gendo and Fuyutski conspiriing with each other). I dunno, maybe I'm just overanalyzing but I feel like the writers are just trying to simplify the story to make it more accessible. I don't mean that in an elitist way as in the series is getting dumbed down, I mean that I preferred the somewhat convoluted presentation of the original series in which events are not necessarily shown in chronological order. I find those types of movies/shows more engaging.

M'kay, just wanted to use an example. I don't wanna just sit here and list all my little gripes lol. But yea like you said, it's a solid movie and all, obviously made for people familiar with the original series (like all the Gundam movie trilogies). I know the pacing of the story has to be tweaked so that it flows better on the big screen and fit into time constraints and it was done pretty well. I'll probably watch the next two movies for a good refresher of the the series but I will definitely be looking into the fourth one with the alternate ending. I'm giddy with anticipation!^^
Avalon
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby BBboy20 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:45 am

To be honest, I think they should have told the story from different prospectives then just retell the story.You know, adding new elements to the plot that we never noticed before.

I'll probably watch the next two movies for a good refresher of the the series but I will definitely be looking into the fourth one with the alternate ending. I'm giddy with anticipation!
...I don't really feel the same; in the end, it's really just retelling and not actual cannon to the original story; I mean, sure they'll like add new elements but it's still not set around the source material.
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, after reading the review of 2.0 here and seeing it wasn't just a prettied up remaster of the same Evangelion I'd seen numerous times already, I gave this a watch today.

I have to say I was a bit alarmed at the scene Avalon spoiler tagged, I wonder how the ensuing films will change the scenario from the original series where Misato grew more and more distrustful of NERV and became the successor to uncovering the secrets of Gendo/Ritsuko after Kaji exited the scene.

As far as this film goes though, I was pretty impressed with the major upgrades to the presentation. The Angel Ramiel was especially pretty cool with the shape shifting and geometric visual effects and was probably the highlight of the film in terms of visual candy. As with anything where they cram alot of material into 90 minutes, some of the pacing did seem over-rushed and I felt like something was a bit lost in certain scenes which were allowed a bit more room to breathe in the TV series. In the end though, they did handle this compression of material about as well as one could expect, certainly things didn't seem as tossed together as the Death portion of Death and Rebirth.

Overall I give this a stamp of approval.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby BBboy20 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:29 pm

BBboy20 wrote:To be honest, I think they should have told the story from different prospectives then just retell the story.You know, adding new elements to the plot that we never noticed before.

I'll probably watch the next two movies for a good refresher of the the series but I will definitely be looking into the fourth one with the alternate ending. I'm giddy with anticipation!
...I don't really feel the same; in the end, it's really just retelling and not actual cannon to the original story; I mean, sure they'll like add new elements but it's still not set around the source material.
Wow, I'm a idiot.
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Anime & Manga Reviews