Negima (live-action)

Post and share your Detailed reviews of anime, manga & related things.

Negima (live-action)

Postby kirschy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Review located here. I'll probably repost it on this thread eventually, but I might as well use some of my site's bandwidth. :lol:

Edit:
And here's the review:

Negima (live-action)
Overview:

The Negima live-action television series is the latest adaptation of the Negima! comic. And like every adaptation of Ken Akamatsu's Negima! comic before it, this one is a disappointment. The Negima franchise tells the story of a 10 year old Welsh wizard sent to Japan to be a teacher at a girls school. Chaos ensues. Or at least it is supposed to. The live-action series is so slowly paced, and lacks so many of the elements from the original comic that it is underwhelming.

The Good:

In the live action adaptation the telling of this story is portrayed through a cast of 32 young female actresses (including the actress who plays Negi) and a supporting cast of adult actors. For the most part the casting directors did an acceptable job. Not all the characters directly resemble their counterparts, but on the whole the cast is close enough and does a good enough job mirroring the mannerisms of their comic counterparts that viewers can tell who is who.

The Bad:

While the actresses do a reasonable job portraying their characters, many of the things that make the original comic so entertaining are missing entirely or are sorely under-represented. In addition to this, the show has major problems with its pacing. These combine to give the series a blah feel.

One of the most noticeable absences is the complete and total lack of fan service. Ken Akamatsu's original comic is absolutely dripping with fan service, in the form of bath scenes, panty shots, sneeze created strong winds ripping off clothes... All of that is gone in the live-action series. Granted it would be hard to take the fan service aspect nearly as far and still be able to air the show, but there isn't even a hint of the light-hearted risque humor that permeates the original. The closest we get is the occasional flash of underwear during an action scene with a kick (the girls are wearing dresses afterall). As a result of the lack of this risque humor, the show feels overly melodramatic.

Another noticeable characteristic of the original that is missing is the magic and mischief  it caused. In the new series, the number of times Negi uses magic in the first 10 episodes (representing roughly the first two volumes of the comic) can be counted on one or two hands. Granted the magic aspect was more subdued in those volumes, but it was still there. In fact the need to keep it secret was one of the driving forces of the humorous situations Negi found himself in. This begins to change with episode eleven which begins the Evangeline story arc, but at this point we're nearly half way through the series.

The pacing constitutes yet another problem. Almost half the series is taken up with episodes introducing characters. This gives the show a girl of the week feel and makes the first ten episodes drag. The original comic quickly introduces Negi and provides a peremptory introduction to some of the more prominent characters and then all future back story is dealt with as flashbacks or as side stories as the comic comes to the girl in the story. This lets the comic move extremely quickly and tell a fast paced, humorous, sometimes romantic story.

Judgment:

Die-hard Negima fans will want to see this. However they're going to walk away from it disappointed. The show itself is not badly made, but it lacks so many of the traits of the original series and has so many problems with things like pacing that falls into the familiar trap that has caught all the rest of the Negima adaptations. Viewers who are not fans of the original comic may like it, if they can last past the first ten episodes and if it does not fall into the same meh, girl of the week story tendency after the Evangeline story arc. Just once I'd like to be able to say that a Negima adaptation lives up to the original, but this series earns its low rating.

1/3
Last edited by kirschy on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby Selaphiel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Nice review, but why do you use a rating scale of 3? Is that bad/good/excellent, bad/ok/good or something else?
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Postby kirschy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:19 pm

Nice review, but why do you use a rating scale of 3? Is that bad/good/excellent, bad/ok/good or something else?

Basically because unlike Rune or Itami, I'm not interested in the finer nuances of just how good or bad something is, especially since different people have different tastes. I'm simply interested in a broad overview so people know whether they're probably going to like it. So...

1/3 - below average/bad
2/3 - average
3/3 - above average/good
kirschy
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby BBboy20 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:37 am

Nny wrote:Nice review, but why do you use a rating scale of 3? Is that bad/good/excellent, bad/ok/good or something else?
You see, the 10-100 scale pretty means the reviewer tries to be all "scientific" on every bit of quality that the title has and then tries to judge all of them up to one number.

The 1-5 scale is somewhat the same as what I mentioned previously except shortens down to 5 identifiable numbers that represent an overall quality:
5=excellent
4=great
3=good
2=bad
1=*insert anything that describes an abomination here*

Personally, I never understood the use of the 10 scale since people are only going to bother renting or buying  a game that is in the 7-10 scale which makes the first 6 numbers wasted.
cutCutCUT
BBboy20
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Anime & Manga Reviews