[Anime] Kanon (2006)

Post and share your Detailed reviews of anime, manga & related things.

[Anime] Kanon (2006)

Postby doomed1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:53 am

Title: Kanon (2006)
Studio: Kyoto Animation
Licensing: NONE
Genre: Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, Supernatural
Age Rating: TVPG
Series Length: 24 episodes

well, another season, another KEY anime. i got this one just as it finished on a certain website i dare not mention, but seeing as everyone here is well versed in teh intarwebz, i dont think many will have trouble finding it, and if you do, well, its worth it.

Story
Yuuichi Aizawa is a boy with some serious memory issues. He once lived in a city covered in snow during the winters, and that same city every once in a while in the snowless summers as well. now in returning to this city, Yuuichi transfers to the local high school. however, in his return to this city after a 7 year absence, he can't seem to remember anything about his former years there. so, in his first cold winter, Yuuichi tries to piece together his missing years in the cold...

As with my last KEY review, Air, Kanon was an H-game before it was a standard dating sim on the PS2 before it was an animated feature. and again like Air, Kanon for TV is completely without H, and is probably better for it.

And unfortunately, yet again, Kanon suffers from similar flaws to Air, if not to a greater degree due to the longer run. the character development remains mundanely balanced. the sub arcs are noticibly less noticible as they meld into one another rather fluidly, and because of this new found fluidity, the arcs have some character development for other characters, so it reflects life more as it happens. and because its longer, it can afford it as well. but that brings up the next little issue with this series. this time, its length can be a handicap. the entire series is peppered with little hints and forshadowing that really make the whole thing rather predictable. and quite honestly, that kills some of the more tragic happenings. as a final quirk there were a few inconsistancies, that were sorta annoying, though nothing too much, just things that were sort of unrealistic.

now that im done with my little pet peeves, i will now bring u what is really important to this: EVERYTHING ELSE

Kanon's writing, despite my little quirks, is still top notch. although i probably would have liked to have more focused character development, i dont really care that much in the end. that paragraph was just to get all the negative out of the way. Yuuichi's character was a riot. he came off as a suave jerk at first, with a gift for comic sarcasm and being ironic, but you really come to like the character. also, every character seems to have their own catch phrase, which was one of those incosistancies i mentioned, but still, the "Uguu" expressed by the main female interest, Ayu Tsukimiya every time shes flustered, adds to the adoro-meter and really brings the character closer. i loved every single character and arc, all of them very memorable, the writers really went all out with this, and the ending, the ending left me in tears. how, i will leave that for you to find out. do so, the story is superb.

Animation
with the same studio who make Air, Kanon was very similar in style. i think it was just a little less cutsey than its shorter counterpart, but about the same nonetheless. however, all of those superb animation techniques that were in Air, were in full force for Kanon. i dont think iv seen better subtle emotional responses in any animation. i applaund the Kyoto Animation team for an excellent job

Audio
unlike with Air, this is another point where Kanon really shines. the audio was brilliant. the in-episode audio really set the mood so the soft stuff made you laugh and the hard stuff hit HARD. also, the opening and ending themes were enjoyable too as i did not feel the need to skip them most of the time. overall good job

Japanese Dub
one word reallygood. the VA for this was top notch. no forced dialog (though thats part of the writing), no overly annoying voice (even the comic relief was lovable), and they really delivered the catchphrases well. part of what drew me so close into these characters was the absolutely enjoyable dub they had.

English Dub
if this existed i would probably ignore it. thats how damn good the Japanese dub was. HURRAY FOR NO LICENSING!

Final Word
one thing to say about this series is that it isnt Air. it caters to the same crowd (very well i might add), but in the end, there are just a few too many plot and setting differences that put Kanon in another league. i know i have been comparing the two on a regular basis in this review, but thus is the general (and i use that word loosely) structure of the two shows. and yet there is still one thing that they both share, they both require the owning of tissues.

Kanon ends beautifully. although at first it starts slow with seemingly stock characters, dont be fooled. all those characters grow on you big time, and by the end of it all, you're tearing and begging for an encore. but of course, since it ends conclusively, there wont be one... Uguu~ :(

Kanon gets a well deserved 5... out of 5
Last edited by doomed1 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
made by myself, the GIMP Master General. want one? just pm me
TEH UBER 1337 PIRATE OF THIS FORUM!
VISIT MY deviantART!!!!!
doomed1
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby Veoryn87 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:03 pm

I'm 5 episodes in and loving it.
Made by ZeroSasurai.
Veoryn87
Senpai
Senpai

Postby doomed1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:48 pm

watch it all the way through in a marathon, especially when u get to episode 19, after that, dont stop until the end. u'll thank me later.
VISIT MY deviantART!!!!!
doomed1
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby si1vergecko » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:55 pm

I might have to look up this series.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Tsuyoshi » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:08 pm

Edited it to show that it was the 2006 version of Kanon.
Tsuyoshi
Shissei
Shissei

Postby doomed1 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 am

oh, thanks for the clarification DF
VISIT MY deviantART!!!!!
doomed1
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby Veoryn87 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:16 pm

doomed1 wrote:watch it all the way through in a marathon, especially when u get to episode 19, after that, dont stop until the end. u'll thank me later.

Impossible.  I download my anime in my parents computer and I go there a couple of times a week to get them.  Since I'm downloading other stuff (Monster, Code Geass, Nanoha A's) I can't get through very fast.  Thank GOD I'm almost done with Nanoha.
Made by ZeroSasurai.
Veoryn87
Senpai
Senpai

Postby doomed1 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:52 pm

then burn it to some DVDs and save it for a rainy day. trust me, it'll be worth it...
VISIT MY deviantART!!!!!
doomed1
Kikousha
Kikousha

Postby Veoryn87 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Jeez!  My torrent for episode 7 just slowed down dramatically.  I started it yesterday and now it's having a hard time getting through 59%.  I wonder what happened to the torrent...
Made by ZeroSasurai.
Veoryn87
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Bench » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Wow great Review! I strongly agree to what you just said, the ending was beautiful and is overall one of the best series i've seen. :) I would've made this a 10/5 hehe.
Bench
Shinmai
Shinmai

Postby Veoryn87 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:32 am

I haven't given up on this show yet.  I'll give it a couple more episodes and decide how far I want to go.
Made by ZeroSasurai.
Veoryn87
Senpai
Senpai

Return to Anime & Manga Reviews