[Anime] Evangelion 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE

Post and share your Detailed reviews of anime, manga & related things.

[Anime] Evangelion 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE

Postby ANIMENIAC78 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:04 am

Release date: June 27, 2009
Director(s): Hideaki Anno (chief), Masayuki Yamaguchi, Kazuya Tsurumaki
Animation Studio: Studio Khara
Run Time: 108 Minutes

Overview:
Continuing the story from the Evangelion 1.0, Shinji Ikari and Rei Ayanami are joined by two more Eva pilots, Asuka Langley Shikinami (Pilot of Eva-02) and Mari Illustrious Makinami (Pilot of Eva-05).

Story: 9/10
Shinji Ikari
Having fought through 3 battles already, Shinji finds himself adjusting to being an Eva pilot well, especially with the help of his best friends, Kensuke Aida and Toji Suzuhara. Shinji even finds that his father, Commander Gendo Ikari, is beginning to open up to him. This, however, changes in the activation of Unit-03, and the testing of the new Dummy Plug system. But, when the 11th Angel attacks, Shinji must return to pilot Unit-01 in order to protect the ones he loves.

Rei Ayanami
In this movie, we see a new side to Rei which we haven’t seen before, at least not too often. Through Shinji’s caring and concern for her, Rei begins to care for Shinji, to the point where she tries to learn cooking. This love for Shinji brings Rei to fight for more than just Commander Ikari’s orders, and she becomes willing to even sacrifice herself in order to protect Shinji, and the things he loves.

Asuka Langley Shikinami
The pilot of Unit-02, Asuka makes her grand entrance into Japan by defeating the 8th Angel. At Tokyo-3, Asuka moves in with Misato and Shinji, and quickly takes over Shinji’s terrain. Although initially brash towards Shinji, after seeing his growing relationship with Rei, she quickly becomes jealous, and a type of rivalry develops between Rei and Asuka. This rivalry won’t last long though, as Asuka is assigned as the pilot of Unit-03.

Mari Illustrious Makinami
A half-English, half-Japanese girl, Mari was originally the pilot of Unit-05, but sacrifices Unit-05 to counter the 7th Angel that escaped capture and attacked AKRON (the European equivalent of NERV). Not much is explained in the movie of Mari’s past (who her mother was, how she was chosen, etc.). After the mysterious destruction of AKRON in an activation test for Unit-04, Mari and Unit-03 are transferred to NERV. Mari makes her “covert” entrance into Japan by parachuting onto Shinji’s school’s roof, and onto Shinji. After the mishap with Asuka and Unit-03, Mari is assigned to become the pilot of Unit-02, and unlocks it to its full-potential in the fight against the 11th Angel.

Animation: 10/10
2.0 really utilizes CGI to its full extent, without making it look out-of-place with the rest of the movie. CGI scenes (like all the action scenes, or the montages of the daily lives of Tokyo-3’s citizens) have a cell-shaded look to them. The only reused “animation” I recall was a scene of the NERV operators as they stare at the screen in shock, which is a scene from the second episode when Unit-01 goes berserk. Oh, and there’s a lot of bouncing boobs and fan-service in this movie, with a promise from Misato that there will be even more in the next movie.

Audio: 9.5/10
The only voice I’ll touch upon this time is that of the new character Mari, who is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto. To imagine how she sounds like, think of Lal’C’s voice with Nono’s personality. We even get some of Sakamoto’s singing at the beginning of the movie.

The soundtrack from the movie is completely orchestrated, along with a re-conduction of older tracks. Each song during a scene truly captured the emotion of the scenes. The theme to the movie is an acoustics remix of “Beautiful World,” the theme of 1.0.

The audio for the movie was excellent during battle-scenes. The movie theatre really shook during all the battle-scenes, but the audio wasn’t too loud that it deafened me. Each sound was carefully crafted, from the metallic clanks of the rising Tokyo-3 buildings, to the splattering of the bodies of the Angels and Evas.

Final Word:

Take everything you knew about Evangelion, and dump it. This is a whole new movie, and even if you’re an Evangelion expert, you’ll find yourself surprised with all the alterations that have been done to classic scenes.

Final Score 9.5/10
Last edited by ANIMENIAC78 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A-Amazing! Decantering from such a height!

PSN ID (US): Animeniac78
PSN ID (JPN): NihonXnoXShonen
Wii Friend Code: 7897 3793 1639 1486
ANIMENIAC78
Okame
Okame

Re: [Anime] Evangelion 2.0: YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE

Postby si1vergecko » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:20 am

Nice to see a new review. I was interested in this movie to begin with but this got me more interested.

My only complaint about it is some spoilers that someone can piece together if they pay attention.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Selaphiel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:48 pm

si1vergecko wrote:
My only complaint about it is some spoilers that someone can piece together if they pay attention.

Oddly, this is the least amount of spoilers I've seen in an Eva 2.0 review so far.

Needless to say, I wont be reading any reviews for 3.0 or 4.0
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Postby chibianimefan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm going to keep reading, believe it or not... spoilers actually interest me
*i am chibimetal, the chibi shoujo fan*

Thanks Kirschy

http://metal-the-otaku.livejournal.com/ Fear the power of EMO!!!

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby ANIMENIAC78 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Spoilers were inevitable, but I tried to make them subtle by not straight out saying what's going to happen. I also left out Kaworu's description, which is a big spoiler for the movie, but you can read it below.

Kaworu Nagisa
Pilot of Unit-06, an Eva Unit which encased the Lilith on the moon, Kaworu Nagisa arrives from the Moon after being sent by SEELE, and discovered by Fuyutski and his "father", Gendo, on their trip to the Moon. Kaworu makes his entrance by launching the Spear of Longinus at Unit-01, who was initiating 3rd Impact after merging cores with the 11th Angel.
Last edited by ANIMENIAC78 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A-Amazing! Decantering from such a height!

PSN ID (US): Animeniac78
PSN ID (JPN): NihonXnoXShonen
Wii Friend Code: 7897 3793 1639 1486
ANIMENIAC78
Okame
Okame

Postby Selaphiel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:39 pm

ANIMENIAC78 wrote:
Kaworu Nagisa
Pilot of Unit-06, an Eva Unit which encased the Lilith on the moon, Kaworu Nagisa arrives from the Moon after being sent by SEELE, and discovered by Fuyutski and his "father", Gendo, on their trip to the Moon. Kaworu makes his entrance by launching the Spear of Longinus at Unit-01, who was initiating 3rd Impact after merging cores with the 10th Angel.

Whoooooaaaaaahhhhhh
"A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of one’s birth." - Ecclesiastes 7:1
Selaphiel
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

Postby chibianimefan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:21 am

I really need to see it now
*i am chibimetal, the chibi shoujo fan*

Thanks Kirschy

http://metal-the-otaku.livejournal.com/ Fear the power of EMO!!!

http://legacymaster09.proboards50.com/index.cgi <--- Please join, we need members... I don't want to see my third home die
chibianimefan
Senpai
Senpai

Postby LinxCross » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm so glad to see this movie turned out to be very different from the series. Not so happy to hear the next movies will be shorter. =\
It's a new frontier!!!
LinxCross
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:22 pm

Whoah wtf, I wasn't paying attention, these are THAT different from the old series!? I just kinda ignored these before since I thought it was just a remaster type thing.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Postby si1vergecko » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Well what I find annoying is at the moment all I found was a torrent that was basically a camcorder recording of the movie in a theater with no subs. I guess I am still waiting to see it and actually understand it. If I knew Japanese i would have watched it despite crappy quality but alas.
si1vergecko
Senpai
Senpai

Postby Narcosis » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:33 am

Evangelion 2.22 Blu-ray Review

To put this simply, if you are an Evangelion fan and have any sort of Blu-ray playing device I suggest you get this as part of your collection. First off, this is one of the better looking anime productions out there in high definition. While most anime, whether TV or film, has greatly advanced in technique since the now archaic looking Evangelion TV series from 1995, this film (as well as 1.11) are very high budget and go all out. Also, while the film End of Evangelion was also a very nice looking affair with a high budget, the Rebuild of Evangelion films have the benefit of 14 years of CGI advancement as well as being made natively in a true high definition resolution so that you don't end up with the weird letterbox effects that were present in the EoE DVD release. In short what I'm saying is that if you have a shiny modern TV that has 1080p resolution as a feature this anime looks awesome on it.

Secondly, the English dub is pretty good and retains most of the important voices from the previous Evangelion DVD releases over the past 12 years. I did think a few characters like Ritsuko or Fuyutski sounded a bit stiff, but over all most of the cast does a good job with iconic character/actor combinations such as Spike Spencer playing Shinji and Tiffany Grant as Asuka present and delivering pretty well.

The bonus materials are pretty standard fare. There's an inserted mini encyclopedia booklet in the case, and on the disc itself there's a voice actor commentary, the option to switch between the theatrical version (2.0) and the Blu-ray version (2.22) and a few animated storyboards of scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor prior to full production. There's nothing in this package that really goes beyond any of the typical features you see in most Blu-ray and DVD.

Finally, in terms of the film itself, Rebuild of Evangelion is starting to prove it's worth with the release of the second film. While 1.11 You Can (Not) Advance was an impressive ground up remake of the first 6 or 7 episodes of the TV series (with a few changes of course), 2.22 goes completely off the tracks laid years ago and gives us a whole new universe of content to chew on. Much of the mid series monster-of-the-week filler from Eva TV is gone, with 2.22 managing to advance the story quite far while also introducing an awesome new pilot character and some re-imagined fight scenarios amongst both new and returning Angels. The ending itself, in addition to all this new and re-imagined stuff, gives me some hope that the next 2 films in Rebuild will go into some really interesting new territory and hopefully for the first time give the western fans some of the info on Evangelion we never received previously such as the details of the First Ancestral Race and the origin of the Lance of Longinus, Adam, Lilith, Second Impact, the Fruit of Knowledge and the Fruit of Wisdom. Most of the canonical info on these subjects was relegated to books, commentaries from Gainax and from videogames that never saw the light of day in the western world, and as such here's to hoping that Anno and his production team explain this in the actual anime much better than they did in Evangelion TV or the End of Evangelion film.

So to conclude, I think anyone who ever enjoyed Evangelion before would be pleased with these Blu-ray releases of the Rebuild films. They look awesome, pack in some really good new material and can even serve as a good alternative to introduce Evangelion to the new generation of anime fans coming up who were born after the original series was created and who may find the TV series a bit hard to watch in light of the advancements made in the 17 years since it first aired on Japanese television. Do check out these new films in HD if you can.

Check out my new blog about gaming and gaming culture: datadeletion.blogspot.com/
Narcosis
Shikaisha
Shikaisha

Return to Anime & Manga Reviews